2012 Progress Report
Comments to Draft Environmental Impact Statements (DEIS):
- Atlantic Geophysical and Geological DEIS
- Atlantic Fleet Training and Testing DEIS
- Hawaii-Southern California Training and Testing DEIS
- ION Geophysical Arctic Surveys Environmental Assessment DEIS
- Arctic Oil and Gas activities Five Year Plan DEIS
- Diablo Canyon – PG&E Geophysical Surveys Comments
Conference attendance and presentations:
- Outer Continental Shelf summit in Washington DC (+lobbying)
- San Diego Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) “Impacts of noise on fish and invertebrates.”
- BOEM/US Navy “Marine Mammal Mapping” in Washington, DC (+lobbying)
- Oil and Gas Producers “Joint Industry Program” program review in DC
- Host committee for 2013 Impacts of Noise on Aquatic Life conference in Budapest, Hungary
- Blue Mind conference – presentation in San Francisco
- Acoustics Society Technical Planning Meeting in Kansas City, MO
- Acoustic Society Meeting – Arctic Sessions Chair. Kansas City, MO
- “Historic noise levels in the ocean prior to industrialized whaling” M. Stocker, T. Reuterdahl. In review.
- Trade book “Hear Where We Are” accepted by Springer for publication in May 2013.
- Lecture to the Monterrey Bay chapter of the American Cetacean Society
- Peter Benchley Award host committee
- Launch of “Don’t Be A Buckethead” collaborative website with NRDC and WWF with petition.
- “Hands Across the Sand” presentation in Sonoma County.
- Discovery Day Science Festival “Power of Sound” interactive display 20,000 visitors total (probably 500 participants at our booth).
- Blue Trails Design Jam – Finalist
- OCR Facebook presence – up to 65,000 “likes” and Shares”
- Over 40 OCR newsletters/blog posts for 2012
- OCR YouTube channel with bio-acoustics mini lectures.
- Two one-hour radio features on Pacifica Radio with Caroline Casey
- Acoustic Society Webcast on “Historic Noise Levels in the Ocean” picked up by LA Times, other papers, and Webnews.
- Information table at “Okeanos” multimedia ocean performance event in San Francisco, CA
- “Fish Ears and Shrimp songs” presentation to Sonoma Surfriders.
Projects in various stages of development:
- Tracking whale sharks through monitoring of fish chorusing.
- Kurtosis metrics – Thresholds and Criteria projects
- Arctic Soundscapes – online output for Cornell University Arctic recordings
- Blue Trail – Arctic Soundscapes − Large area bio-acoustic environment with a produced soundscape using recordings from various Arctic marine researchers
- Ocean soundscapes − a bio-acoustic composed tableau traveling from Antarctica across the latitudes to the Arctic through biological and human sounds
- Exposure criteria program
- Bio-acoustics timeline on the OCR website.
- Ongoing educational productions for the OCRdotORG YouTube channel.
- Acoustical Forensics workshops
- Stranding interactive GIS Database